Earth nature field

What does challenging the status quo look like?

Topics of general interest
Forum Member

What does challenging the status quo look like?

Unread post by Forum Member »

What would it look like if we elected a County Commissioner who would not sit on the board of local non-profits while voting to give those non-profits money?
What would it look like if we elected a County Commissioner who didn't have family members working for local non-profits while voting to give those non-profits money?
What would it look like if we elected a County Commissioner who didn't rubber stamp anything the County Manager and County Attorney recommended to get rubber stamped?
What would it look like if we elected a County Commissioner who didn't have a part in sending hundreds of thousands of dollars to the Asheville Chamber of Commerce?
What would it look like if we elected a County Commissioner who did more than just claim to side with the people of Haywood County?
What would it look like if we elected a County Commissioner who understood his role to not trust but to challenge the government he is to oversee?
What would it look like if we elected a County Commissioner who has the patience to let someone soil their reputation/credibility for misrepresenting the facts?

I say it would look a lot like the incumbent Commissioners being afraid of comparison.
I say it would look a lot like the County Manager and County Attorney wanting to let the new guy hang out to dry as much as possible.
I say it would look a lot like the non-profit supporters trying to turn the voters against the new guy.
I say it would look a lot like hit pieces in the local tabloid.
I say it would look a lot like the incumbent Commissioners trying to tear him down because they know they can't raise up.
I say it would look a lot like what Terry Ramey is doing for our Haywood County Board of Commissioners.

Fortunately, it's the voters of Haywood County that get to define the kind of representative Commissioner Terry Ramey is. Anyone trying to do that for them should be considered for what they are.