https://www.themountaineer.com/stephani ... 46a4d.html
Forum Member

Re: (Council Candidate) Stephanie Sutton

Unread post by Forum Member »

Forum Member

How the Smoky Mountain News seems to slant a story:

In the spirit of transparency, I want to inform you about a telephone call I received today (7/28) from Cory Vaillancourt of the Smoky Mountain News at 12:06 pm while at work. Once Mr. Vaillancourt identified himself, I informed him I was putting the call on speaker so others present were witness to the conversation. Mr. Vaillancourt stated he was calling to ask questions for a "recap story" about the "events of the week". I shared with Mr. Vaillancourt that I was surprised to be given a chance to comment since he neglected to contact me prior to the article he published earlier in the week. That article is linked in my comments. Unfortunately, my previous experience with Mr. Vaillancourt has not been positive, and I’ve been troubled by the biased nature of his reporting. I was forthright and stated that I had a level of distrust and requested he share his questions in writing so I could respond via email and have a record of the exchange. He declined, and stated he would report that I refused to answer his questions. I was shocked by this and told him that the accusation was false. The tone of Mr. Vaillancourt's communication was combative. It is unnerving to be a political candidate who is less than two weeks into my campaign, and to be treated with such hostility and contempt from a member of the press. He stated that he will not “coddle” me like The Mountaineer, which he referred to as “the propaganda machine.”

While Mr. Vaillancourt refused to submit his questions in writing; he did verbalize several during the call. I am using this platform to formally answer those questions and request that, should another article be written about me, these answers be included.

Why did I delete the post sharing Waynesville PD’s update on the incident involving the Rec Center dressing room?

I deleted that post from my campaign page, but it is still visible on my personal page. I chose to do so because the investigation is ongoing, and I felt it was necessary to delete the post until more details were shared with the public. In my commitment to transparency, I will continue to update the members of our community with any new developments. I am publicly calling on the Smoky Mountain News to do the same, and to provide its readers with unbiased coverage.

What comments do I have about the events of the week?
As I shared in a previous post, two motions were made during the town council meeting.
The first motion was for all council members to be in full support of Town Council Member Anthony Sutton’s written statement supporting the LGBTQ community. It passed unanimously.
The second motion was to take a look at the city's policies and ensure that facilities do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity or sexual orientation.

It is my opinion that the second motion must also include plans to ensure the protection and privacy for all females and children utilizing town facility restrooms and locker rooms. As a community, we need to be aware that there are 161 registered sex offenders in Haywood County and 432 in Buncombe for a total of almost 600 in our local area (according to homefacts.com; link in comments). Also, 40% of women in the US have encountered sexual violence (link in comments). These numbers are staggering and represent a significant portion of our society. Imagine the terror these women will face knowing that any man can now enter spaces where they are most vulnerable and be protected by law.

Allowing males into women’s spaces will be traumatic for them. What safeguards will be put into place to guarantee that a registered male sex offender or one who has nefarious intentions will not enter the private spaces of females under the guise of being transgender and identifying as female? Safety and privacy is owed to our entire community, and in their haste to grant that very thing, our Waynesville Town Council is opening up a vulnerable population (women and children) to danger.

I have sent this content to the following emails with the request that, should I be mentioned in an article, these responses would be included.
news@smokymountainnews.com
info@smokymountainnews.com
ads@smokymountainnews.com
cory@smokymountainnews.com

(There's plenty of perspective on this Cory character's bias to consider here: http://haywoodtp.net)
Forum Member

How this candidate commits to performing:
mission.JPG
mission.JPG (72.21 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
Forum Member

Info on Shephanie Sutton:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (143.01 KiB) Viewed 2700 times